Apple has officially announced that it will unveil iOS 14.5 to the public on April 20. A new developer version was unveiled ahead of the event. A week after the release of Beta 7, the company made iOS 14.5 Beta 8 available to developers.
With next week’s event, Apple aims to complete the testing process and make iOS 14.5 available to everyone. With version 14.5, the company will offer users a number of new features, including the ability to unlock the phone via Apple Watch.
What does the iOS 14.5 Beta 8 update offer users?
- With the “Unlock with Apple Watch” feature, users can now unlock the screen more easily when they have masks.
- PlayStation 5 DualSense and Xbox Series X controllers are supported on iPhone and iPad running iOS 14.5.
- The update brings 5G support in Dual SIM mode on iPhone 12 models. So if you are using more than one line, they can now both connect at 5G speeds. Previously, Dual SIM mode was limited to LTE networks.
- iOS and iPadOS 14.5 with WatchOS 7.4 include AirPlay 2 support for Apple Fitness, so Apple Fitness subscribers can start a workout on an iPhone or iPad and then play it using AirPlay on a compatible smart TV or set-top box.
- With iOS 14.5, improvements were made to the widget function and new features were introduced.
- iOS 14.5 includes a Waze-like crowdsourcing feature to report accidents, hazards, and speed cheques along a route in Maps when you get directions.
- In iOS and iPadOS 14.5, you can choose your music service with Siri. So if you prefer Spotify over Apple Music, all Siri song requests will open through Spotify without having to add it to Spotify at the end of Siri requests.
- Siri no longer has a female voice by default, and two new options have been added. There are also several new emoji characters in the iOS 14.5 beta.
- Apple’s App Tracking Transparency settings are here, forcing developers to ask users for permission before using their personal data to track apps. Users can allow the app to track them or ask the app not to track them.
How to download iOS 14.5 Beta 8?
First, you need to install the beta developer profile to install it. Then, you can use Settings-General-Software Update to install the Beta 8 version on your device.
What did you think of the features that came with the update? We welcome your suggestions in the comments.