Blizzard, one of the largest companies in the gaming world, has a declining number of players every year. The number of active players is now 27 million, up from 38 million three years ago.
Blizzard, which owns games such as Overwatch, Diablo, and Warcraft, recently shared its financial results for the first quarter of 2021. According to the results, Blizzard’s number of players is in decline.
Looking at the shared financial results, Blizzard’s number of players has dropped by about 29%. Blizzard has 27 million active players in the first quarter of 2021. Massively Overpowered had 38 million players in the first quarter of 2018, according to data.
Of course, this is a bad situation for Blizzard, but there is an important detail. Blizzard hasn’t released a full game in about five years. They only released refreshed versions of previously released games or updates to older games. In the process, several key figures left the company, including Jeff Kaplan. But especially after this year, we will start to see new games from Blizzard. Here are Blizzard’s player counts from past years:
- 2018 1st quarter 38 million
- 2018 2nd quarter 37 million
- 2018 3rd quarter 37 million
- 2018 fourth quarter 35 million
- 2019 1st quarter 32 million
- 2019 2nd quarter 32 million
- 2019 3rd quarter 33 million
- 2019 fourth quarter 32 million
- 2020 1st quarter 32 million
- 2020 2nd quarter 32 million
- 2020 3rd quarter 30 million
- 2020 4th quarter 29 million
- 2021 1st quarter 27 million